Thursday, June 14, 2012

Holiness and My Bath Mat


Holiness and My Bath Mat

By Cyndi Word

Several times in the Bible, we as God’s people are referred to as holy. I believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God, but have struggled with these particular scriptures about holiness. You see, I know myself. I know my life and the choices I have made. I know the ways I have broken God’s heart with my sinfulness. I yell at my kids, I get impatient in traffic, and when I stub my toe it is NOT the doxology that comes from my lips. Those are just the small sins so I have wondered… how can God, who sees it all, see me as holy?

God doesn’t leave questions like that unanswered and he used the most unlikely tool to teach me about how he sees me.

My bathroom has burgundy bath mats. I was cleaning my bathroom a few weeks ago and I must have really been in the zone, with bathroom cleaner flying in all directions as I vigorously scrubbed. Evidently, one of those little drops of bathroom cleaner landed on my burgundy bath mat. I didn’t realize it until I came back into my bathroom that night, and had a tiny white spot on the corner of my dark colored bath mat. I thought, “Well that stinks but I can live with that tiny white spot on my bath mat; I’m not going to waste money replacing it when it is such a small spot.” The next morning I got up and all I saw was that white spot. That afternoon when I went to brush my teeth, all I saw was that white spot. That evening, as I got ready for bed all I saw was that WHITE SPOT. It drove me nuts, and God taught me a lesson about holiness.

Once we accept Christ and his precious blood has touched our lives, we are forever changed in God’s eyes. He doesn’t see all the darkness and the stain of our sin; He only sees that we have been washed white as snow with the cleansing blood of his son. And it doesn’t drive him nuts; it makes us beautiful in his eyes, beautiful and holy.


1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

No comments:

Post a Comment