Thursday, February 14, 2013

DRIVE-THRU WAKE UP CALL


By Linda Dixon

A co-worker came into the office yesterday with a story to share. On her way to work, she saw a church that was offering a DRIVE-THRU service for Ash Wednesday. The Priests of the church were standing outside with signs advertising this service. I did not grow up in a church that practiced the observance of Ash Wednesday, but I was still somehow offended by this "convenience store approach" to the beginning of the holy season of Lent. I found myself offended on God’s behalf. This drive-thru approach seemed irreverent, disrespectful, and insulting to our God.

I attend a Wednesday night Bible Study and last night shared this story. Someone else mentioned that they saw the same type of thing at a metro stop. Again, I was shocked. Can people really not spare the time for God to go into His house and observe Ash Wednesday?

I woke up this morning with this situation still on my mind and immediately felt God’s conviction. I claim to be a friend of God, I have studied the Bible and attended Church for most of my life and yet I have sometimes treated my relationship with God like a drive-thru service.

How many hours a week do I stop and spend time talking with my God? How much time do I spend listening for his voice and his direction? How many hours do I spend reading secular books when I could be reading His word? And at how many Sunday worship services do I quiet my wandering mind and thoughts and spend time truly worshiping my Holy God?

How irreverent, how disrespectful to the God I claim to love. What a wake-up call. So I am convicted and humbled and once again ask for his forgiveness.

I thank God for his mercy and grace.

“Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
Psalm 46:10

1 comment:

  1. I share your conviction, Sister!! When I think of drive-thru, I think convenience, quick, unhealthy and more expensive (than cooking at home.) Those adjectives can apply to my approach to faith some times-I want it to be convenient for me and quick, but it's unhealthy and in the end, costs me so much more. Great analogy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete