Wednesday, May 15, 2013

LEAVE it to God




I love corporate worship but I have added something to my weekend routine that is making a huge difference in my walk with the Lord. Actually, that is exactly what I have added, a walk with the Lord.  I get up early, put some worship music on my iPod and concentrate on aligning my heart with Gods heart as I stroll through my neighborhood.

 This past Sunday the morning was brisk and beautiful. I am enjoying spring. This season is especially sharp in its colors, the sky seems extra blue and the greens just scream “verdant.” I was walking quickly, worship music blaring in my ears at a volume I would scold my children for, when I crested a hill and walked beneath a maple tree. Just then the wind blew and down came the seeds, twirling and twirling in the wind. As a child I called those seeds helicopters and the moment brought me right back to that time of life. I stood under the tree and laughed out loud. The helicopters were spinning all around me, bouncing off me and landing in my hair. I watched them land and thought of the gospel. I thought of the parable of the seed, of the soil and the sower and I thought of all of us believers and the unnecessary weight we carry about sowing the truth we have been entrusted with.

I think we can learn the simplicity of sharing the gospel from that maple tree. It doesn’t spend its time worrying about where its seeds will land. Instead it just fulfills the purpose God created it to fulfill. It burrows its roots into the soil and stretches its limbs towards the sun and produces the fruit God created it to produce. Then, when the time is right and the wind blows, it spreads the seeds God has allowed to grow.

 I think we believers can do the same. We can make the choice to stand tall in whatever place God has planted us. We can lift our faces to the Son and allow the warmth of a relationship with him to produce a harvest of goodness and love in our lives. We can bury our roots into the rich soil of God’s word and let it nourish us. By doing these simple things we can allow God to grow the fruit He wants to grow in our lives.

And then, when the season is right, we can wait for the wind. We can trust that God’s spirit will blow through our hearts and the results will just flow naturally. We will spread the seeds that have developed with the care of our Master Gardner and trust that they will land on the fertile soil He has prepared.

And it will be beautiful, SIMPLY beautiful.

Blessed is the one 
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
That person is like a tree planted by streams of   
water which yields its fruit in season and whose
leaf does not wither whatever they do prospers. ~ Psalm 1:1-3 

Prayer: Lord, as we seek to discover the unique calling you have placed on our lives, remind us of the calling we all share as believers. The calling to spread the good news of Jesus' life, death and resurrection. Thank you for growing us, nurturing us and trusting us to spread your word. Equip us this week, Lord, to reach out to someone who doesn't know you or the salvation that can be found in You alone. In Jesus name, Amen. 

~Cyndi Word

No comments:

Post a Comment