Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Nothing But the Blood of Jesus!

That middle boy of mine, he has always been such a joy. 

He is our family comedian and the most wonderful peace maker. His gentle spirit is the reason it came as a shock to me that his summer plans included training in Ultimate Fighting. This is a sport where two opponents square off in a cage, no boxing gloves, no head gear and almost no rules. In a word it is brutal, and this mother’s heart and mind can’t comprehend the desire to participate.
One part of his training includes what I will call “shin conditioning.” He kicks a heavy bag with his shins over and over which causes bruising from knee to ankle. The thought behind the training is that over time the shins will become tougher, calloused even, and that the blows will no longer cause pain.
 I was talking with him one night, looking at his battered legs and I was reminded of how my heart and spirit have sometimes gone through this same type of training.

 I have had seasons when I have knowingly disobeyed God. 

With the first offense, my spirit felt bruised and tender. I acutely felt the agony of separation from my heavenly Father because of my sin. But time and again I ignored the pain and kept right on doing what I wanted to do. Over time the pain, which is a  gift from the Holy Spirit of God, lessened. My heart  became hardened and calloused and I continued in my sinfulness until I suffered its agonizing consequences. And the consequences are always agonizing.
But for those of us who call God father there is always hope. 

We worship a God of forgiveness, redemption and restoration. My son’s training reminded me of this as well.
A few days after the initial bruising of his shins he came to me with a concern. He wondered if he had unknowingly injured his foot in his training. He showed me the bottom of his foot which was purple and red with pooled blood. I told him that things were fine, that the spilled blood from his training had just followed gravity and  flowed down to the lowest possible point.
Praise God that we have a Savior whose blood does just the same. 

From the cross  Jesus’ redemptive blood still flows downward, ever downward, following our depravity. If we call out to Him there is not a depth to which we can sink that is too low for his precious blood to reach.  And as it pools there, at our lowest possible point, the power in His blood cleanses, heals  and makes us holy. Thank you, Jesus.

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus. 


But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.  If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. ~ 1 John 1:7-9

Prayer: Father, give me a tender heart and spirit that is open to correction. Forgive me when I go my own way. Thank you for your Son and his cleansing blood. Most of all, thank you for your love and mercy. Amen.

~Cyndi Word

No comments:

Post a Comment