Monday, July 21, 2014

A Message from the Cows

I love to surprise the boys with “field trips” when they come to visit.  I keep the destination a secret, so this brings up questions about where we are going and what we will do when we get there, and of course how long ‘til we get there?  The excitement in the car builds in all of us as we make our way to the location.

This particular trip was to a Creamery about an hour from my home.  I knew there were calves to feed and chicks to visit, as well as cows being milked and eating yummy ice cream from those cows. I was excited enough for all of us!

That day as we watched all the cows hooked up to the milking machines, I discovered that just around the corner we could see the groups of cows entering and exiting the barn.  The ones leaving the barn in a line were to head out into a field through an open gate straight ahead of them.  I watched the first one come out and go directly out into the field, assuming the others would do the same.  But that did not happen.  The next cow went right back up to the gate she had entered through, which was now a closed gate.  I watched as more cows came out and looked back and forth from the field gate to where the first cow had gone, and then choose to follow her to what was now a “dead end.”  This caused quite a gridlock with nowhere to go.  As fascinated as I was by all of this, we had to move on to the scheduled calve feeding, so I was not able to see how it all turned out.

As I stood there watching those cows I thought a lot about myself and the choices I make.  I too clearly know the Way, but I also choose to follow the wrong way when I see everyone else going, or gossiping, or grumbling, or envying, or______ (you fill the blank).  Isaiah 30:21 says, "Whether you turn to the right or the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”  Those cows became so packed in there was no room for a turn around.  I, on the other hand, saved by grace, can make a U-Turn any time I sense the Holy Spirit’s nudge when my behavior is not God honoring.  Sometimes the nudge comes from a friend, used by the Holy Spirit, which is often harder than a quiet sense in your spirit.
How about you?  Who are you following in your words and actions?  Who do those around you think you follow?  Are you someone who follows what you shouldn’t just to fit in and not make waves?  In what area of your life do you need to make a hard U-Turn?

Proverbs 3:6, in the Amplified version says,” In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths.”
In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths.

Donna Bowles

No comments:

Post a Comment