Saturday, November 12, 2011

Attitude Adjustment!

Dear Manorwood Sisters,



I grew up in a medium- sized Lutheran Church in Kensington, Maryland.  From as early as I can remember, to the day I was married, Ross Forcey was my pastor.  His daughter Mary Lou was and is my best and oldest childhood friend and his wife Lee, was his partner in ministering to all of us.  She was an amazing Pastor’s wife and she did it all while raising 4 daughters. Mrs. Forcey is an accomplished flutist and she is also completely blind.  Amazing.



Today, Pat and I will be attending a party for the Forcey’s 65th wedding anniversary and Mrs. Forcey’s 90th birthday!  Incredibly, they are throwing this party for themselves and want only to celebrate with friends and family. I will be seeing many folks from my growing up years!



I am embarrassed to say that I have spent a great deal of the morning stressing over what I will wear to this gathering.  I am 10 years older and many pounds heavier since the last time I have seen many of the guests who will be there today.  I want to see everyone, but I have been wishing that they don’t have to see me.



Last week in our study we went over the verse in Hebrews that urges us to throw off everything that hinders.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith" (Hebrews 12:1-2).  

 I recalled the verse this morning and had a “little talk” with myself about my thinking.  I am challenging myself to throw that darn thing off and continue on the race God has for me to accomplish.



I just sat down to write a card to the Forcey’s and I was thanking them for joining with my parents and planting the seeds of faith in me as a young girl.  What an incredible blessing!  This is what the Lord wants me to focus as I head out to the party today~ for heaven’s sake!!



Are you also preoccupied with something that is keeping you from the running the race He has for you? Are your eyes focused in the wrong place? Like me, you might miss the blessing!



May we all learn to live in the wide open spaces of God’s love and acceptance!  Please pray for me, and I will pray for you.



See you all Tuesday! Off to the party!



Love,

Laura 

No comments:

Post a Comment