Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Are You Hanging in the Salt Pile?


 "Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth".~ Matthew 5:13 (MSG)


 When I was a little girl I used a lot of salt on my food. I would put a big pile of salt on my plate and then dip whatever I was eating into the pile. I think back on it now and cringe a bit at the thought of that mound of salt and what it was doing, or actually undoing, in regard to my health.

God has called us as believers to be salt in this world. We are to be a tool of enhancement- He has given us His spirit to show the world how delicious life can be when we have Christ.

The thing is, He never meant for us to stay in a big pile and I feel like that’s what I have been doing. I go to a wonderful church, a challenging ladies Bible study and I hang out with my Christian friends. I am surrounded by “salt.” I am comfortable in the pile, it feels good. I am understood and validated by others that think just like I think and believe the way I believe. It would be easy to stay right where I am.

 But God is nudging me to get out of the pile. Salt in a pile isn’t good for the health of a hurting world. If the salt just stays where it is, comfortable in a group of like-minded salt, what is the benefit to those around us? Salt is only fulfilling its purpose when it has been sprinkled around, seasoning everything it touches.

God doesn’t say that true religion is  only learning more and more about Him, singing praise songs and attending worship services. He says instead in James chapter 1: “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”

Let’s leave the pile and season our world.

~Cyndi

Action Step: Are you willing to be made willing?  YOU are the answer to someone else's prayer.  Ask God to make you willing and then stay awake to what He will have you do next! 

1 comment:

  1. Great Word! We need to sniff out where God is already working and add some seasoning to the steaks he's got on the fire.

    ReplyDelete