Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Purpose and the Yellow School Bus


 


I have a confession. I do not like to get stuck behind school buses.  If I see one in front of me, I will do all I can to safely move beyond it before that little movable stop sign extends from its side and traps me in its wake.  My maneuvering didn’t work yesterday and I was stopped behind an elementary school bus. The air brakes whooshed; the double doors opened and out came the children.  One little guy caught my eye.  His back pack was almost as big as he was and he shuffled along looking like the day had worn him out.  He finally looked up from his feet and caught sight of his dad waiting down the sidewalk.  A huge grin broke out on his face; he threw his arms wide and ran full tilt towards his daddy.  He ran as if he hadn’t seen his dad in years, not just for the 6 or 7 hour school day. 


 As much as I was enjoying the little boy, I made myself switch my attention to the father and I am so glad I did.  That little boy ran at him at a speed that made the dad step back on connection.  When he caught his boy in his arms, the smile that bloomed on his face rivaled the most glorious sunrise in its brightness. He closed his eyes and basked in that moment with his son.  Here was love, here was adoration shown with wild abandon.  They turned and walked away hand in hand.



Isn’t this a picture of purpose?  Why did our Father create us?  For love…perfect, wild extravagant love.  His love for us, but even more, our love for Him.  I only get confused about my purpose when I make myself the focus.  I’m not on this planet to make myself happy or to bring myself glory.  I am here for relationship with my Father. I am here to bring glory to the one who made me and when I understand and remember that, I am content.  



So look up from your shuffling feet and burdens and see your Father. He is waiting on you, waiting for you to run to Him with arms wide, waiting to hear about your day.  Waiting to hear you say you need Him and love Him. Waiting to take your hand and walk with you. Perfect communion, perfect purpose.  

Psalm 16:5-8

Lord, You alone are my portion and my cup;
    You make my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    surely I have a delightful inheritance. 
 I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
    even at night my heart instructs me. 
 I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
    With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.



Turn this on and love on your Father a bit--I have almost blown out my car speakers with this song!! ~Cyndi

 

2 comments:

  1. It's not about me. Great reminder. Thank you. The song is truly Wonderful. I had not heard of Christy Nockels before. Thank you so much for sharing. Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up! I'm leading the Unglued study in a local group right now too! :) The blog button works now if you had any trouble. ;) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete