Monday, October 8, 2012

So.....How is Your Pipeline?

A post for the not easily nauseated…

It was a gradual process. I spent a few mornings wondering, “Is this shower draining slower than usual?” And the next day, “Is this water deeper than it usually is?” On and on for several weeks, not really sure but not caring enough to figure out if what I was noticing was valid. One day my son needed to use my shower and when he was finished he came directly to me and said, “What is up with your shower, the water was up to my ankles in there.” And so my investigation began.

First I removed the drain cover and poured really hot water down the drain. Problem NOT solved. Then I took a coat hanger and bent it straight, fished around in the drain and pulled out a few pieces of hair. Problem NOT solved. Time for the big guns. I put a snake down the drain, twisted and turned and what came out of that drain made me want to be sick and laugh at the same time. It closely resembled a wet squirrel! It was disgusting, truly a thing of nightmares.

And it made me think about my relationship with God

There are times where I have felt a vague distance from my Father. When I have had a nagging feeling that there was something wrong, like the channel that flows between us was a bit clogged and I wasn’t hearing Him as clearly as I used to.

 If I am honest I have to admit that some of those times I have let the feeling linger, not cared enough to investigate the problem. There have been other times when I knew exactly what the problem was but did not want to make the changes I knew He wanted me to make. There have even been times when someone else had to notice the problem and call it to my attention to make me take action.

It’s usually a gradual process, this blockage to God. 

A few decisions that aren’t in His will, some thoughts that hurt His heart, a few days of not speaking to Him. Clog, clog, and clog.

So how is your pipeline? Are you hearing God clearly? If not, it is time to investigate. There may be something that needs to be pulled up from your heart, something that is disgusting to your Holy Father. It may be hard to stomach but the restored relationship will be worth it! Being in communion with Him always is.

 Search me, God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
   See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.
~Psalm 139:23-24
 
~~Cyndi Word

1 comment:

  1. Great word picture. (Ahem, unless you've been there and really understand what you were dealing with! I can't think about that word picture too long or deep.) :) Kathy

    ReplyDelete