Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Silence


                                                                        Silence
 
by Dr. Beth Ackerman, the Associate Dean, School of Education, at Liberty University
 
I’ve been struggling and growing in the spiritual disciplines of solitude and silence.  And people who know me are probably laughing to themselves right now, because you see, I’m a doer and a talker!
 
Though I struggle with these disciplines, I do see the value in their practice. Last month, I talked about preparing your calendar for times of study.  But I’m so busy, my calendar is full of “doing”, even my devotional time is “doing” – reading, praying, studying… that I often leave no time in my calendar and devotion to just be, in silence, and listen to God.
 
I have found that when I try to sit in silence, and not just being silent, but sitting and listening IN silence, I become aware of all the “interference” running through my life.  My life is full of sounds that mostly involve someone doing something (typing, talking, washing, writing, etc. ).  And I’m learning how this constant “doing” will deplete me, making me unable to move forward in my journey.
 
Sometimes when we do find times to sit in silence, we often don’t replenish our thoughts in the right manner by being silent before God. Which in turn will develop thoughts that don’t come out of time and devotion given to our relationship with God, rather they are thoughts that come from our false self of doing and accomplishing for our own glory.  This endless doing and speaking without replenishing our thoughts and energy will in turn hinder God’s work in us. So in your chaotic calendar, join me in planning time of silence with God, simply being with him in our quest for wisdom and knowledge.
 
Even fools seem to be wise if they keep quiet; if they don't speak, they appear to understand. Proverbs 17:28 NKJV
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment